Sunday, June 27, 2010

ROADTRIP - The Beginning

My plan to blog enroute has failed.  I have returned home, and now I hope to make up for it.  My ROADTRIP took me from Phoenix to Vegas, to Reno to Shingle Springs CA to San Francisco to Riverside and home.
The trip started out about art but seeing family became the priceless part.

At the last minute Steve had to stay for more Census training so Marlys volunteered to be my road companion on the long drive to Reno.  Lucky for us, we got to spend a morning in Reno with Candace Nicol, the heart of Oxbow Press, a 2700 square foot haven for press-less printmakers.  Wanting to do something similar in Phoenix, we soaked up all the knowledge Candace shared about how Oxbow works, in some fine detail.  She is generous and open and just about the nicest person I have ever met.  She and her hearty crew (an impressive number of enthusiasts - is it the water in Reno???) turned an industrial looking metal building space into a fabulous creative zone...I could go on and on but you should just check out their website.


Here are some photos showing their space - the press room has two presses and a large print rack; the inking station room has tons of glass topped counter space and the work room was the classroom setup for my workshop.  More on that in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!

You do not have to be logged in to any system to leave a comment, though you may log in to any of the listed accounts if you have one. If you don't, please choose Name/URL (URL not required) or Anonymous.

All comments are moderated and must be approved before they appear.