Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Color Mixing

Today didn't go as I thought it would.  I imagined myself knocking out two or three more colors today.  Yet all I could manage was one.  Printing over green was an experiment.  I decided to go for a light aqua by printing what turned out to be a very light blue over the green.  I liked the color I ended up with but before I could print, I needed to cut away the areas I wanted to save as green.  As you can see from the line drawing (in an earlier post here) it is very detailed.  And confusing, I might add.  I made some changes along the way in what was cut and what was added.  But now I am left with making sure my improvisations don't leave behind glaring cutting errors.  Something Fishy was a whole lot easier to cut.
So my next decision was do I print orange next or a raw siena kind of color?  And how much will printing a not totally opaque orange have when printing over aqua.  When I mixed the two inks on the palatte, the white in the light blue made the orange turn coral.   So I prepared four different oranges, one pure, one with a little red, one with a lot of red and the second with a little umber added to it.  I needed a real test of printing on the actual print.  And frankly, I was a little surprised by my results.
The orange was dulled only a little.  They all came out a whole lot truer than I expected.
I noticed that the aqua was still wet and on this particular print I hadn't used any cobalt drier.  The orange didn't cover smoothly so I will have to watch that tomorrow.  Hopefully the aqua will be dry and I won't have any problems.  Tomorrow's challenge will be cutting the blue.  I have to say though, I love seeing the prints after cutting away another layer.  Secrets are revealed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Wendy, you're so good about thinking ahead! Testing colors BEFORE you print? What a concept! And you get beautiful colors, to boot. (sigh)

    Yesterday must have been the day for print slow-downs... the two colors I got down aren't drying and I'm not convinced I like one of them. Impatient me wants to hurry up and put another color on to see if things even out... danger, danger!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!

You do not have to be logged in to any system to leave a comment, though you may log in to any of the listed accounts if you have one. If you don't, please choose Name/URL (URL not required) or Anonymous.

All comments are moderated and must be approved before they appear.