Saturday, November 21, 2009

Final Color for 2 Reduction Linocuts

UNDER THE RADAR
It was finished this past week.  The final color is exactly what I wanted, a redish purple with some black in it.  (Photos are never as good as seeing it in person.)  It was achieved by printing alizaron crimson over the blue of the water.  It is nice to learn how layering inks affect the outcome.  You never know until you actually print it and with this one I was very happy with the results.  I want to thank Susan Marquez and her daughter Lily for being my muses for this print. 
LOOKER
What a challenge this print turned out to be.  On Wednesday I etched a 12 x 18 photopolymer plate (Solarplate) with 3 rows of the windows I wanted to collage above the linocut as my final image.  I also experimented with what color to do as my final color and the color of the windows.
 
Thursday I printed the etching 9 times.  And yesterday, for 8 hours Diana Hartley assisted me in collaging and printing the final step.  Diana tore down the individual rows and applied 3M spray adhesive to the backs while I inked the plate to print.


This project, the Naughty, Taboo, Just Plain Wrong print exchange, was a lesson in letting go of perfection.  In the end I love my print and am proud of how it turned out.  HUGE thanks to Diana for her amiable assistance throughout.

I've named the print, Looker,  meant to reflect not just the beauty of the swimmer but also about how your view of nudity can depend on where you stand, through which window you see it.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, these both turned out beautifully! You have a real talent for capturing water and figures in the water. I have no doubt that the colors turned out great, too, and I can't wait to see them in person. Congrats on the fruition of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I truly think "Looker" is your best print, to date, that is. I know there will be others as successful. I like the vicariousness of the windows.
    cj

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!

You do not have to be logged in to any system to leave a comment, though you may log in to any of the listed accounts if you have one. If you don't, please choose Name/URL (URL not required) or Anonymous.

All comments are moderated and must be approved before they appear.