Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year

Back to work after returning from Christmas in Cincinnati, I printed the 3rd color on my 10 x 10 print.  I carved a small piece of gomuban with the shape I wrongly cut away and have reserved the ink I mixed of that color.  But after 5 colors now, I am waiting to see if I really need to use it.  Here is the 3rd color pass.  You will note that I am not printing the whole area of the print.  This is a change for me...I am trying to think more about putting the color where it is needed and not building up too many layers.  Too many make for shiny areas.

Color 4 is the first of three colors for the pool.  I forgot to add cobalt drier to the ink and hoped it would be dry enough to print today.  A color-a-day is the goal since I have returned.

I am printing on Rives BFK and a kozo paper.  The Rives version is turning out clearer, the ink spreads out smoothly.  With the kozo there is more of the underneath color showing through.  I haven't adjusted to the rougher surface but I kind of like the differences.

Color 5 covered up the brightness of Color 3 pretty well.  Certainly enough for what will come next.  I had another brain fart carving away this one and had to glue back a piece.  I will learn tomorrow whether that worked or not.  See if you can spot my error!  It will show (or not) after either Color 6 or 7.  When I look at the print at this stage, I am tempted to leave it this abstract.  But I can't do it.  There is something in me that can't wait to see what it will look like after the next color...and the next.  But this stage inspires me to think more abstractly and to really try to do fewer colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!

You do not have to be logged in to any system to leave a comment, though you may log in to any of the listed accounts if you have one. If you don't, please choose Name/URL (URL not required) or Anonymous.

All comments are moderated and must be approved before they appear.