Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Old Dog/New Trick

 CONFETTI
I have to fight the feeling that every print I make is precious.  Even the ones I don't care for much.  So I am trying to take the mistakes and "just a little off" prints and play with them or redo them altogether.  In Santa Fe two years ago I bought a handful of Caran d'Ache crayons and promptly never used them.  This week I broke them out and started experimenting with them and AKUA ink.  Several days ago I  drew on my plexi plate and rolled out the release agent and tried to print on top of an older print (on Arches 88) with dried ink.  The transfer didn't work very well.  So last night I started afresh.  I drew on plexi, rolled out the release agent and printed on unused Arches 88 paper.  It transferred nicely.  I added my monotype swimmer and then added more caran d'ache marks in a last pull and it also transferred.   Now I need to work on my mark-making.

PANEL DISCUSSION AT U of A SATURDAY
MK and I are driving down to Tucson Saturday to attend a panel discussion titled Life As Women Artists.  Moira Geoffrion is the moderator and the panelists are Barbara Rogers, Julie Sasse and Bailey Doogan.  I especially love Doogan's paintings and I'm excited about hearing her talk about her life.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MADDIE
For those who saw my header and was thinking there might be an actual dog item, here goes:  My little girl dog will be 10 years old this week.  She is sweet and cuddly and quite vocal.  She is half poodle and half pomeranian and weighs 11 lbs.  I call her my supermodel dog.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's the season... I'm trying to "let" myself experiment a little, too. It's not easy... the reduction printmaker's paranoia, I guess. Always feel like I have to save everything at every step because by the time I get to the end.... well... might not be anything left! Good for you for taking the plunge! (Oooh... that might have been a bad pun.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Happy Birthday Maddie!

    I had a set of Caran d'Ache crayons in my art supply stash when I was younger.. I remember really enjoying drawing and particularly blending with them. It's fun to experiment with new techniques - I like what you did with your print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Wendy

    Maddie looks like a real sweetie !!

    I was wondering with what you explained above - where did you apply the release agent? If you had already 'drawn' with the caran dache crayons onto the plexi glass? Do you mean that you applied it by rolling it onto the paper perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, Ladies. Loved the pun, Sherrie. And Aine, trying to print the crayon mark from the plexi (thru the press) doesn't work. I don't know the science of it but it is too dry and the release agent, rolled out with a brayer on the plate after drawing and then run thru the press softens it enough to transfer. I learned this technique from Ron Pokrasso in a workshop in Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!

You do not have to be logged in to any system to leave a comment, though you may log in to any of the listed accounts if you have one. If you don't, please choose Name/URL (URL not required) or Anonymous.

All comments are moderated and must be approved before they appear.